19. sep. 2009

Choices

So, I quit my job. Then I spent the beginning of August writing applications for other teaching jobs thinking that it might be better at another school. I went to three job interviews and was offered a job in every place. But I turned them all down (WHAT!? in the middle of the financial crisis!:)) I couldn't get myself to say yes because I'm sure it would be much the same as the job I had before, and I don't really want to teach again.
And I applied for a couple of other jobs recently. They're not teaching jobs but still in the world of education. If I should get them, I'm not sure I would want them...

I've been doing the YouTube/MySpace thing for three years now, and it has taken up much of my sparetime. There has been times where I wanted to close everything down, thinking it was no good. At other times (which is most of the time), I think it's pretty fun, and I enjoy reading the comments and mails from people around the world.
Most messages are thank you's and compliments. Some are questions about guitars, strings, mics and recording equipment. All of which I don't know a lot about, but I do my best to answer everyone.

Once in a while, the messages contain offers:
-  Sing in a fancy hotel in China
-  Sing on a train driving through parts of Canada
- "I'll be your manager in the UK"
- "I'd like to build your website for free"
- "Are you sure you want to be a teacher?...you should come to New York City and record with me"

I choose carefully which offers I want to follow up on. That last message, about New York City, was from Kenli Mattus.

Here's Kenli on MTV with his band The Classic Futures


I went to visit him in NYC and we recorded some songs. And it was a great experience.


"Can't Help It" was one of the songs we recorded during my one- week stay.




Meanwhile, Kenli relocated to Los Angeles with his wife.

It's funny; when you suddenly have all the opportunities in the world, it's hard to make a decision about what to do.  I think too much. Paralysis by analysis. I have a gazillion opportunities, and I recently read that the brain runneth over when it has just seven choices, which makes going to the supermarket a real workout for your head.

Anyway, the most apparent opportunities I have right now might be:

Stay where I am (Smalltown, Denmark)
Pros: family, friends, security, use money to buy professional recording equipment, better camera
Cons: no music scene, no inspiration, boredom, day job (ugh!)

Go to Los Angeles (Bigtown, USA)
Pros: entertainment capital of the world (sorry, Bollywood), record more music, play gigs, network of musicians, meet new people, weather
Cons: Hmmm... Okay, plane ticket, extra rent, possibility of earthquakes. And it's a little scary, too, just a little.

I'll let you know what I decide to do.  Feel free to leave suggestions and comments.

9 kommentarer:

Newmicon sagde ...

I can definitely relate to this blog. Really glad I read it. I know what you mean about when you are saying that sometimes you feel like shutting everything down. I am going through one of those phases now. Debated shutting down the whole youtube site, wondering whether it was worth it. Just decided to slow down making videos for now and work on the construction of the building. Assuming my drive to make videos will come back sometime!

Unknown sagde ...

Its not like you have to stay in "bigtown" forever. Why not give it a try a live there for like 2 or 3 month and then you decide if you want to go back or stay.

Give it a try. Do something amazing. Theres always things you will regret, but its your decision if its about things you havent done or mistakes you made. Why not take this adventure, youre young, talented, gracious. In fact, i couldnt imagine anyone not liking you. Take Chances!

Mike Bates sagde ...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~ Mark Twain

Take the road less traveled, Lene. You'll find it makes all the difference.

Your devoted fan, Mike

Altinget sagde ...

Tja, jeg har ikke rigtig nogen ide om hvad du vil være oppe imod af konkurenter/kolleger hvis du tager til Los Angeles.
Hvis du mener at du har overskuddet (vilje, evner og måske lidt startkapital) til at tage på et "eventyr" i den store by, så er det nok bedst at prøve.
Det behøver jo, som andre også skriver, ikke at være et enten/eller ultimativt valg. Det kan også være et både og. Det som man kommer til at fortryde mest er de muligheder man ikke afprøvede.

Ikke for at være negativ, men det er måske en god ide at have en "plan B" eller en beslutning om hvorlænge man forsøge at få succes, så man ikke kører fast i noget der ikke vil lykkedes. Det kræver så også at man har en forestilling om sit ambitions niveau.

Unknown sagde ...

go to L:A
good luck,songbird
devotedly
gibsonizer229

Anonym sagde ...

I can definitely relate to your situation my dear, I cross a similar bridge myself a few years ago I was stuck in a dead end job going nowhere and felt I was getting older fast :)

so I'm in the middle of my journey and sure I will cross the same bridge as yourself sometime very soon

anyhows the best thing to do is go with your instinct and if you feel the music bringing you closer to were you feel happier... just go for it then at least if it does not work out then you can say you tried it and have no regrets

keep you chin up hun and remember you bring alot of joy to your music to alot of people

-Clint aka 'Babs2002ukus' from Youtube :)

Harlan sagde ...

I think Mike Bates put it much better than I could have. Go for it..home isn't going anywhere, and its right there waiting for you if you LA isnt the right fit.

Bas sagde ...

Hi Scribble,

If you turned 3 jobs down and your so doubtful about your situation, at least give your fantasies a chance.

You could also look some place nearer. LA isnt the only place you can head for; it could also be Berlin, Stockholm, London or whatever.

Good luck!

michael sagde ...

it might be strange, but i think what makes you so great is that you are NOT big town, not entertainment, not under a huge contract with thousands of people hacking on you for doing this, doing that. i'm pretty new to your blog and to all your songs on youtube (coming originally from finding your jack johnson covers by accident) and i have to say you're probably the biggest thing recently emerged in the female voices section, can't decide if i like the nora jones or the janis joblin side more in your voice, ah what the heck!

but if what made you like this is the small town in denmark, is the youtube sharing, is the way you "produce" yourself (and yes, you DO produce yourself!), then i want to be egistic and wish you to keep continuing EXACTLY that, with no change, no big town los angeles, no contracts, just by transferring what your life gave you up there inthe north between the north and the eas sea... and just go one with this. but of course, you need to make a living... and if there is any way to market your songs... i'd love to see you being managed by someone, running shows, giving concerts, tour the world... if you don't give up your own style.

i guess you have thought all this through yourself... just wanted to tell you that the biggest asset you have is your "smallness". i admire you for that, like thousands of others who listen to your siongs.

thanks & please do not get lost,
michael (from CH)

Demand Scribbletunes!